New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Blueberry Ripple Yogurt Ice Cream


You don’t need a ice cream maker for this. Just a hand held mixer or if you don’t own one, just work harder with your whisk.

The original recipe called for Greek yogurt. Yeah, that’s pretty much Greek to me, as that is not available here. So, I substituted it with low fat yogurt and whipping cream to make up for the creaminess that Greek yogurt is supposed to have. And I used gelatin in place of eggs as emulsifiers because I don’t want to cook the yogurt. I’m pretty much scared of breaking up the curds. They don’t stay as creamy yogurt when overheated, you know. I’ve seen somewhere that gelatin can be used to make ice cream to produce that creamy feeling without using eggs.

And with blueberries being super expensive here, I skipped the garnish portion, and used up the berries for the filling, leaving the syrup behind for garnish. I just had to improvise to lower the cost.

Although the yogurt content here seemed low, but no, I let Lydia lick the bowl and she told me it’s yogurt. If kids can tell, I’m sure you can.


(A)
100gm blueberries
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp sugar
Cook these in a saucepan over medium low heat until you can see the water turning into a blue colour. Do not stir, only swirl the pan with the handle. Remove from heat. Let it cool.

(B)
1tsp gelatin
2 Tbsp water
Place water in a microwave safe or heatproof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Either microwave on high for 20 seconds or double boil until gelatin melts. Set aside to cool.

(C )
250ml low fat plain yogurt (I used Dutch Lady)
200ml whipping cream
80gm sugar
1/3 tsp gelatin (for use only after ice cream has hardened)

1. Chill mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from freezer and pour in cold whipping cream.
3. Beat on low for 1 minute then raise the speed gradually to high and whip until it is almost soft peaks. Put in sugar gradually and whip until soft peaks.
4. With the mixer on, pour in the cooled gelatin mixture (B) and mix until incorporated.
5. With a spatula or spoon, mix in the yogurt. Mix well.
6. Put only the blueberries (A) into the ice cream mixture. Leave the syrup behind and keep it chilled until time of use.
7. Fold the ice cream twice, not too much, you want the ripple effect. Take care not to break the blueberries.
8. Pour ice cream into a 1L capacity loaf tin. (I used a disposable 4cup/1L capacity loaf pan) Freeze until hardened.
9. When it’s almost time to serve, sprinkle 1/3 tsp of gelatin into reserved blueberry syrup and let it sit for 5 minutes. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. Let it cool down.
10. Unmould ice cream onto a chilled serving platter. Drizzle blueberry syrup over ice cream loaf.
11. Slice ice cream to serve. Do not use a scoop.



Taking pictures with ice cream is really tricky. I was a bit slow.. and no, it didn't melt, but it froze the blueberry jelly I drizzled on top.


66 comments:

  1. Wow, this is my kind of ice cream! Definitely going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woaaahh! This is such a wonderful ice cream! It looks super pretty and yet definitely yummy one! I can't stop myself looking at it, it's really really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely yoghurt ice cream, especially good for our hot weather here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, at this rate, my list gets longer. Lovely and what a colour contrast! Yum!
    Btw, does it stay frozen longer than a normal ice-cream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley,
    Does that mean I'm going to see it in your blog soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitchen Corner,
    Hehehehe..... pls make some and gawk at your own ice cream loaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Homebaker,
    Yeah, who can resist ice cream on a sunny day?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busygran,
    Yeah, it stays pretty much longer in shape than regular ice cream, due to the gelatin.
    which is why it's so nice when sliced into pieces and served.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful type of ice cream :) At first, I thought it is a blueberry cheesecake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is very pretty, at second glance I tot it looks like a block of tofu.

    I would like to give it a try too. May I check with you what type of whipping cream is used?

    ReplyDelete
  11. DG,
    Hhehe, add some cream cheese and it'll be blueberry cheesecake ice cream, also can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cook.Bake.Love,
    Dairy whipping cream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowww! i think also blueberry cheesecake! camni selamat la sket my weight! hihihi... bookmarking dis! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm...yummy! I just bought blueberries too. RM8.99 for 125gm. Expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sound yummy delicious, yogurt ice-cream for a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice desert. Something light and refreshing. Good that no ice cream maker is needed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hana,
    Kalo makan the whole loaf pun tak selamat kat mane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Little Inbox,
    3 years ago, it was RM25
    2 years ago, it was RM15
    Last year also at RM15
    In May 2010, it was RM15
    In July it became RM9

    It is getting cheaper but still super expensive

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy flour,
    Very suitable for hot day, cos it don't melt that fast compared to regular ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great dessert for our hot weather here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bee,
    Yeah, an ice cream maker is not a common sight here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. At least you can find blueberries altho expensive. I never found them in Miri. Your ice-cream looks like 5* standard!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hearty Bakes,
    All ice creams are great for our weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Home Kreation,
    I heard from my friend in Bintangor, that spinach (not bayam), iceberg lettuce and plums (and lots of imported fruits) are not found there. Whenever she comes to the peninsula, she'll eat and eat all these.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wendy, I thot this is a cheesecake initially. The ice cream looks so beautiful and yummy, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh wow, see now you tempted me to make this too ha ha... they look so good !!! Who can resist a slice of that especially in our hot hot weather here. I just love how the blueberries look like when you cut into it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. beautiful cake, gorgeous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  28. eeeeeeeeeeeeee............so nice! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  29. oooh!! this looks so good! I am bookmarking soo many of your recipes. =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jess,
    YOu're not the first to be fooled. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gert,
    I was so nervous that mt knife won't find any blueberries when I cut in. I was delighted when I saw so many:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like a great dessert to be bookmarked ;-)

    BTW, August is round the corner, it’s time for the next instalment of the virtual Merdeka Open House. I’m looking for suggestions for this year’s theme, hope you could contribute some but do remember to participate and join in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hmmm...mm... this is just so seducing! I enjoyed having ice-cream when I was sick. Everything was tasteless except ice-cream! Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  34. So pretty with the floating blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Manglish,
    A writer wannabe out of words to express??
    Gosh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. kk,
    Hahaha, glad you like so many of my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Babe_kl,
    :)
    thanks for the invitation, but the link is not working.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Kristy,
    No need to wait til you're sick to do this.
    It's blueberry season now and it's getting cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So nice looking! Actually initially I thought you made blueberry tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oooh, ice-cream!!!

    Just in case i'm making this...you don't have to to the whip the mixture a few times before you can really freeze it?(like the normal ice-cream, in and out of the freezer)
    Where do you usually get your blueberries? Jusco? The last time I checked the price, I think it's RM14.99---super duper ex...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Galronni,
    Hmm.. tofu eh. NOw you give me the ide a of adding silken tofu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mel,
    No whipping a few times. You'll break the blueberries if you do that.
    Jusco's price of blueberries has gone down since 2 weeks back. RM8.99 now.

    ReplyDelete
  43. wow! this looks great!! going to try it out soon ;-) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wendy,
    Wow, this is Beautiful!

    I am sold on this recipe now.

    I want to make this first before the 姜汁撞奶 as I bought 2 packet of blueberries yesterday, planned to bake the stone fruit tea cake again ( I baked one with just apricot and it turned out successful!)

    Wong

    ReplyDelete
  45. SO pretty and the simplicity of it using good wholesome ingredients like the yogurt is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wong,
    Glad to hear about the stone fruit tea cake success.
    I hope you like this ice cream loaf too.

    ReplyDelete
  47. That looks so good! What a really nice way to enjoy those blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thinking of doing this tomorrow or day after...you make it looks quite easy. Wanna ask you many questions: This is a firm ice-cream or soft one? If keep too long in freezer will harden? My in-laws will just simply scoop ice-cream out of its container, so planning to use Freezer-mate. You think its ok?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Mel,
    How firm it is depends on the temperature of your freezer.
    BTW, it won't be nice when scooped, cos it'll break the berries in an ugly way.

    I suggest you freeze it, then slice it, use muffin liners to wrap the base of the ice cream slices and place them back in larger freezermates, so that they can just grab a piece and eat, just buy holding the paper liners. I did that last time.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi, i found your recipe from foodgawker as i was looking for some recipe to finish my yogurt.
    i love your recipe. it is easy and it is delicious. i tried it and love it. i hope you don't mind if i re-post your recipe on my blog. I will remove it immediately if it is NOT ok for you.

    here is the link :http://sweetmakemesmile.blogspot.com/2012/03/blueberries-frozen-yogurt.html

    Thank you so much for such a delicious refreshment recipe ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wendy, can I freeze the ice cream together with blueberry syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Jes,
    the syrup is for decoration purposes at step 10.
    If you're not going to do this step, just use up all the berries and all the syrup at step 6.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I want to use up my whipping cream, so I made this. It's kind of different with the normal ice cream. Its so creamy. I used Value Pride brand ready to whip cream. Am I using the wrong cream on this?

    ReplyDelete
  54. esther,
    Valuepride is not whipping cream. It's a non dairy topping cream.
    This is actually considered as a semifreddo, more than a churned ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh, silap bahan rupanya. I thought non dairy is more healthy. So that means whenever the recipe calls for whipping cream, then must use dairy whipping cream. What I used was just for cake deco, filling n topping only(non dairy) am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  56. I really don't like blueberries but I really like how you were able to put on such great design on this ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...