New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sweet Potato 'Better' Brownies - Sweet Potato #3



I won’t say this is a healthy brownie, but just a better choice. That is if you want to use less sugar for a fudgy moist brownie. Brownies typically need lots of butter and sugar for that delicious mouthfeel and when one uses sweet potatoes, it acts like a humectant that retains moisture and it also lends natural sweetness to the batter.



I’m not a cakey brownie person, if I want cakey, I might as well eat a proper chocolate cake. When I eat brownies, I expect soft fudgy texture that makes me beg for more. This brownie is very nice at first slice, but a second helping seemed too much for me. The sweetness seem to be stronger at the second slice, maybe too much of a good thing isn’t a good idea, it will make it seem less desirable. One slice at a time is how I will eat it next time. This brownie is good, just that I'm not much of a chocolate person to eat 2 in a go.


Now, the idea to use sweet potato is not mine. I just read up about it. The person who thought of that was ingenious, truly ingenious. But because I don’t want to get into any dispute, regretfully I am not going to name that person. A lof of bloggers have gone into trouble after crediting the person as the source. It’s any of his recipes, not just this recipe. So, I will only credit the website that hosted this recipe where the person is a contributor. But then again, I have changed some of the ingredients and revamped the method. I hope I don’t get into trouble for using the idea of Sweet Potato in brownies. I did not intentionally, not credit the person behind the original recipe, because in this case, it leads us to trouble if we do.


Sweet Potato 'Better' Brownies
Source of inspiration: Guardian UK

100gm salted butter
125gm dark chocolate (I used compound, Beryls)
100gm soft brown sugar (already reduced 20% from recipe )
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
100gm flour + ¼ tsp baking powder
200gm finely grated sweet potato (raw)
65gm pecans
75gm dark chocolate, chopped

1. Toast pecans in oven until they smell good. Remove from oven and coarsely chop. Set aside.
2. Prepare a 7 or 8 inch square pan, fully lined with overlaps.
3. Place butter and 125gm dark chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt it (either over hot water or in the microwave, 30+ 30 secs). Stir gently until everything is melted.
4. Mix in sugar. Then eggs and vanilla extract.
5. Sift flour + BP into the mixture. Stir gently to combine.
6. Put in grated sweet potatoes and pecans. Stir gently.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Coarsely chop the remaining chocolate and sprinkle them over the batter.
8. Bake for 18mins (8 inch)-20mins(7 inch). (the surface is set, but soft).
9. Let cake cool down completely, chill until the chocolate chips are solid enough to be sliced.

6 comments:

  1. Ooohh...controversial brownies! I have to get used to the idea of having sweet potatoes in brownies. I also prefer fudgy brownies, so I purposely underbake them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really like to bake cake with sweet potato as I have the experience of getting 'heavy' and densed cake texture. A lot healthy ingredients are used in making something 'not' healthy. Well the only way to find out is to bake and taste. Your healthy brownies look good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is baked at what temperature? 160C (fan) / 180C?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poh Lin,
    If you use the fan function, then 160, if normal conventional baking it's 180C

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just made your brownies this evening only I used about 30g of sweetner instead of sugar, absolutely gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet potato? Oh i have to try this :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...