New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, March 11, 2013

Strawberry Custard Cream Buns - Fruity Buns #1


The blueberry buns that Pook made were soooo pretty. Can't take my eyes off them. And so, I wanted to make them too. I chose to use strawberries because of the price factor and personally I love strawberries.

My girls thought these were cupcakes due to the form it takes in. And they were in for a surprise when they tried eating it.




Initially I wanted to make these as gifts for a relative, but it so happened that they weren't in town, something that rarely happens in the day for them, but it was such coincidence. So, I turned back and took these to Mike's office. Some suppliers were there and they were grinning from ear to ear when they saw these. Feedback was good and the decorative mint (from my garden) were gobbled up as well. It blends with the strawberry very well.


I made lesser custard than in her stated recipe because I saw she used just 4 yolks instead of 5. So, I just made a wild guess that it was too much custard. I reduced the recipe accordingly and still.. it was slightly too much custard. I had to chop off the top of the custard in order to fill them with the topping.

The dough for this bun is very nice and soft. A bit on the oily side, but nice.



Strawberry Custard Cream Buns
Recipe source: Daily Delicious

Dough
250g Bread flour
1/2 tsp Instant yeast
1tsp Salt
30g Sugar
145ml Whole milk
1 Egg yolk
30g Unsalted butter

Custard Cream
270ml milk
seeds from ¼ vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
60gm sugar
15gm cake flour
Pinch of salt

Topping
60gm strawberries
60gm sugar
½ tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla extract
250gm strawberries, cut into small pieces

1. Prepare dough. Mix everything together except the butter and knead until the dough starts to become elastic. Then, knead in the butter until the dough becomes soft, smooth and almost satiny. Cover and let it proof until double (took me more almost 1.5 hours)
2. Meanwhile, prepare the custard cream. Whisk eggs, vanilla, egg yolks and sugar until pale and frothy. Whisk in the flour and salt. In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil, and slowly pour this into the egg mixture, stirring it all the while as you pour. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook until it thickens. Pour the cooked custard into a bowl and put cling wrap directly onto the surface to prevent it from forming a film.Set it aside.
3. Prepare strawberry sauce. Coarsely chop the 60gm strawberries and mix with sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Cook it on medium low heat until it turns jam like. Let it cool down.
4. When bread dough has doubled, divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll them round. Cover and put them into the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile grease a 12 hole muffin tin. Preheat the oven at 160(fan)/180C.
6. Remove the chilled dough from the fridge and roll them flat about 8cm wide. Place them into the muffin holes and press to form a cup. Spoon the custard into the cavities. *no further proofing*
7. Bake them for 12-15 minutes until the surface of the buns turn golden. Let them cool down to a manageable temperature and carefully remove them from the muffin tin.
8. Mix the strawberry sauce with the strawberry pieces. Top the custard buns with the strawberry topping.


20 comments:

  1. I love this. Honestly ... so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious , can I have one pls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have be aware your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful.
    I really like what you have received here, certainly like
    what you are stating and the way in which during which you say it.
    You're making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to keep it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you.
    That is actually a tremendous site.

    Feel free to visit my web page provide
    my website > escape

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy! This would taste more bread than cake, I supposed?

    Very versatile... We can use any fruits or toppings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. so tempting wendy..i tak sabo2 nk try..tp br je terhangitkan my first homemade stoberi!! grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so lovely, i thought i was gonna make them until i saw the "kneading" part, aiyo, cant knead la. Cn i use my breadmaker? If yes, can i add the butter with everything else in the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative way of baking buns with custard. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, how do you always make everything look so picture perfect and delicious? They look too good to eat, but I'd finish them all in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will mistaken these buns as cupcakes, so pretty. love the custard fillings too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy, your strawb custard crm buns look amazing.

    Can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI wendy,

    i love your idea and your creative baking.
    for the custard cream, can substitute cake flour to corn flour?

    ReplyDelete
  12. jesselyn,
    I think, corn starch is not that suitable... it is not as stable as flour here. I worry it might water down as it tends to when overcooked.
    Use plain flour instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi wendy,

    Can i prepare and chill the bread dough in the fridge a day in advance before baking?
    and also cook the custard and jam a day before too?
    Must it be consumed on the same day after baking?

    ReplyDelete
  14. lyn,
    I am not sure if the dough can be done in advance.
    You can bake them the night before, and keep for the next morning. Buns can be easily reheated for a few minutes in the oven, without the fruit topping.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi...very nice looking Buns....
    Would like to ask about storing and reheating....
    I plan to bake to for my girl to bring to school for Christmas party...
    Can I bake the buns the day before the party and is the reheating necessary? Will the buns remained soft until the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeong Shong,
    If you want to serve these the next day, leave the strawberries out first.
    The buns won't turn hard, but it's definitely nicer when they are warmed up just before they are brought to school. Because these have custard in it, I recommend you keep them chilled if it's not served within 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Say if I keep them chilled for the night...how many minutes will I need to reheat them?...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeong sheong,
    Normally I reheat in the oven until I can smell them. I can't tell the time.
    If microwave, just 15-20 secs per serving. If you microwave in bulk, the timing will be longer and risk of drying out

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...