New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Telur Pindang ~ Leaf Braised Eggs - MFF Johor #3


Telur pindang is a traditional delicacy of those of Javanese descent in Johor. The eggs are simmered for 3 days 3 nights in a concoction of leaves and spices, sometimes up to 7 days 7 nights. It is said to be the food of the olden day traders who travel for days because this egg could keep for 2 weeks. It is a common door gift used in Malay Weddings especially for the Johoreans, but it is used in other states too, because it is more special than regular hard boiled eggs used in Bunga Telur

I'm am used to eating braised eggs, but usually the Chinese style. Tea eggs is one of my favourites. This is something similar but not the same. 

During my year in Johor, I have seen it before, but never eaten any there, because I didn't know what it was. That brown shiny egg sitting at my favourite soto stall. (wonder why mine is dull)


When I got to know about this dish, seeing the stuff I need to find, I was thinking to myself, "This is CRAZY". Where can I find such things? And the eggs are boiled for 3 days?

But then... as I drove along the roads each day, I then noticed that almost everything is around me, except for the mangoesteen leaves. Then I asked my hubby's staff whether she has mangoesteen at home, and she told me she has a few trees right in her yard! And so, I have found all the leaves I need.

If you look at the amount of stuff I gathered.... LOL. It's a lot! Actually I gathered too much. My pot could only accomodate this much but I gathered enough for almost 200 eggs. My kitchen patio was strewn with leaves everywhere. LOL.


Now, where did I find those plants.....

Mangoesteen - Staff's house
Senduduk- playground nearby
Guava- relative's house
Galangal stalk- Staff's house but it's found in my neighbourhood too, just that I don't have the guts to ask.
Garlic and shallot skin- FREE from grocery stores 
The rest are easily found and bought

You can use other leaves like Noni, turmeric, coriander, Indonesian bay leaf, mint or any fragrant herbs, but the basic few should remain, as in the Mangoesteen, senduduk and guava as these 3 are believed to stain the eggs brown. Some even add chilli. Lots of variations on the internet. 


All prepared and ready to cook. I used only 1/3 of these, Too much of everything, LOL.

I know you want to know how this egg taste like. My hubby's staff described it as the aroma of ginger braised chicken with soy sauce. Not bitter, nothing weird. Just fragrant and savoury. That staff had a bad experience with telur pindang that looked very very dark and tasted really astringent. He was quite scared to take his first bite, but after one egg, he asked for another.

Even when the eggs are boiled for so long, you might think they taste like rubber. But no, they are not. The egg whites still taste tender. Which is kind of mind boggling, right? Tea eggs tastes more rubbery than these.

It is said that the eggs will last 2 weeks at room temperature.
It was not the same case with me. by the 4th day, the flavour diminished and 5th day, it tasted awkward.
I thought it would keep, but it wasn't the case with me. Best kept chilled after the 2nd day if you want to keep it for a long time.


If you were to read through the recipe, the 3 days boiling is actually not continuous. It's just for a few hours each day. But does it matter?? 3 days?

Yes it does.

First day: Colour on shell and egg white. Egg white is salty, but no aroma.
2nd day: Egg white has aroma but yolk is still like any other yolk.
3rd day: Flavour and aroma penetrates throughout the egg.

So, it's ok to take the shortcut, but the flavour will be inferior. Some people say, boil the egg without the shell for quick penetration. hmm... Maybe I'll try that next time, but not this time, because I want to be CRAZY, LOL.

the inner colour is the same, I can't distinguish the difference in taste

Telur Pindang
WendyinKK's version

50 eggs Grade C
15 pcs Mangoesteen leaf (mature and young)
10 sprigs of Senduduk
30 pcs of guava leaf
1 galangal stalk
2 inches of galangal root, sliced thickly, unpeeled
5 stalks lemon grass (leaves and stem)
10 pcs of pandan leaf (optional)
10 pcs of kaffir lime leaf (optional)
30gm coriander seed
15gm fennel seeds
15gm cumin seeds
2 handful of garlic skin
2 handful of shallot/onion skin
Few pieces of asam gelugor or some vinegar
3 Tbsp sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
1 heaped Tbsp salt

1. Rinse the leaves and tear/cut them into smaller sizes if needed.
2. Rinse the eggs.
3. Arrange some of each leaves on the base of your pot.
4. Arrange eggs onto the leaves.
5. Sprinkle the spices and skins over, and some asam.
6. Repeat with the leaves, eggs and spice layering.
7. When the eggs are all arranged in the pot, cover with more leaves.
8. Put soy sauce and salt. Pour water over until it submerges all the eggs.
9. Place a plate on the top and bring to a boil.
10. Lower to a simmer for 4 hours. Turn off the heat. Let it rest.
11. The next day, bring it back to a boil and lower to a simmer for 3 hours. Turn off the heat and let it rest. Repeat this the next day too.
12. When the pot has totally cooled, fish out the eggs and wipe with kitchen paper towels. Egg is ready for distribution.




The raw egg and the Pindang Egg

Before I end this post, I'd like to express a big thank you to my dear reader Aishah Sazali who has helped me a lot as I prepared this egg. Her dad makes these eggs to sell and she is from Johor. Thank you Aishah.

I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Johor Month hosted by Annie of Annielicious Food

24 comments:

  1. Oh my oh my.....a "crazy" recipe. First, with that loads of different leaves required, all those spices AND then have to boil for 3 days! Boiling each day for few hours, does the eggs anymore nutrition left? I think I eat my "herbal tea eggs better" lor..... But nevertheless, I have learned something in this post. Thank you Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! rajinnya u wendy.. sangat2 berusaha untuk mencari segala bahan2 yang banyak tu... tiba2 rasa teringin nak makan telur pindang... arrghh.. kena pegi kenduri kahwin di johor nampaknya.. hihi..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oic... macam ini rupanya nk buat telur pindang... thanks wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read about telur pindang and I was quiet interested because I love eggs. But after I found a recipe for it, I surrender totally. Hah! Hah! Wendy, you masak 50 eggs kah? Got some more leftover ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all the ingredients I will think twice before I prepared this. Wonder how is the taste like? Your hubby's staff are so lucky

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha Wendy, salute la kat you!
    I pun tak berani nak try wlp I ni hantu telur pindang! boleh sapu 3 biji sekali duduk LOL!

    and you rebus 50 biji? ada lagi tak?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha Wendy, salute la kat you!
    I pun tak berani nak try wlp I ni hantu telur pindang! boleh sapu 3 biji sekali duduk LOL!

    and you rebus 50 biji? ada lagi tak?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Wendy, hats off to you for going round collecting all the different leaves and then cooking the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waa, 3 days! and so many thinks to do! No way just to eat eggs lol, even though I do love eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing recipe with the various fresh spices and the method of cooking. Love the interesting Asian recipes that you do, I'm reading your blog all the way from Perth btw so it's great to read your blog for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't know it took so much effort to make these eggs! Hats off for the effort and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much effort, must sell the egg for like 5ringgit each!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Wendy! 50 eggs?!! Is this for some baby's first month part or what?! Look at that pot of leaves and spices! I'm sure the eggs taste fabulous! Do they taste like our 茶叶蛋?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a lot effort making this eggs. Must well buy from outside. Anywhere this is new to me. Next time I know when I see it in Johor :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOWWWW
    This is such a wonderful post
    I've never seen such eggs.
    AMAZING !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Esther,
    I sell u buy! LOL


    chef and sommelier,
    Not really, less pungent. Smells more mellow, but on the gingery side.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Wendy,
    The simply way, is adding tea bag on your recipe. This tea will make your egg brownies.
    At my hometown, telur pindang more beatufull if have a lot of cracks, LOL, see the link http://www.pbase.com/image/59547299

    Regards
    Dian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully detailed project, Wendy. I would be hard pressed to find the mangosteen leaves in the US but am inspired to give it a try. Followed the link in MNGG on Senduduk query to here. All those herbs etc - must have been an aromatic concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mom on Blog,
    Welcome to my blog :)
    Yeah, mangoesteen will be hard to get there. It's purpose is only for colouring.
    You can skip it if you can't get it. As for galangal fronds, you can skip it if you can't get it, the roots will be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Wendy, I am Eve from Ochre Pictures. We are currently producing a documentary drama for Suria called Demi Cinta. Our show is about the preparation of Malay wedding. We are looking for some "telur pindang" photo for our show. It will be only 2-3 sec show time. We came across your blog and we are enjoying to read your topic. We would really appreciate if you can allow us to use your photos for our show. Your name/blogger title will be credited in our roller credits list.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Best Regards,
    Eve Koo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Wendy, I am Eve from Ochre Pictures. We are currently producing a documentary drama for Suria called Demi Cinta. Our show is about the preparation of Malay wedding. We are looking for some "telur pindang" photo for our show. It will be only 2-3 sec show time. We came across your blog and we are enjoying to read your topic. We would really appreciate if you can allow us to use your photos for our show. Your name/blogger title will be credited in our roller credits list.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Best Regards,
    Eve Koo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wah you made a lot of effort to make telur pindang. I saw youtube videos how to make telur pindang decorated with polka dots, hearts and leaf pattern. But they cooked it for 3 hours instead of 3 days.

    https://youtu.be/jTexvzpVKL8?list=PLIyxaGoBhWyf5GZ5yv9GKndrQ58lLrlqg

    https://youtu.be/TP4FCxk7sUo

    ReplyDelete
  23. my late mom used to prepare this egg for all the weddings in my house.. now that she's gone, no one ever tries to do this anymore in my family.. maybe I will try to revive this tradition in my family back again.. thanks for the recipe! sedap gilerrrrrr telur ni..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...