New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, June 6, 2014

Bò Kho, Vietnamese Beef Stew - Thịt Bò - AFF IndoChina # 3



This is one of my favourite dishes at the Vietnamese restaurant. Each time I hoped that baguette is available, they always say no and in the end I have to eat it with rice.

I didn't really plan to make this, but it seems that I have collected the perfect cuts for this dish over a few weeks. I tend to buy whatever I see as nice and freeze them. And so, I decided to cook this. No regrets!



You can use any cut of beef you like, but I think those with marbling or some fat will taste awesome. Helen said, one can use flank or even oxtail, besides brisket and shank. So, it's up to your preference.

When I saw Van's recipe, I love her use of the black cardamom, plus shallots as well. But I don't have annatto seeds. I asked around some of my fellow foodie Vietnamese friends on FB and they said it's ok to omit it if I don't have it. I'm glad, but I am seriously curious whether there is any difference in taste, besides the colour.

My kids surprisingly didn't enjoy this dish, although they love carrots and tomato based gravies. Only my hubby and I ate it with glee.

FYI, I bought black cardamom from Chinese herbal shops and the coconut water was given to me FOC from the coconut milk stall. They usually discard the liquid from old coconuts before grating them.


4/5 pictures today are from my phone. There are times when I am just careless with my pictures and accidently deleted them when I thought I have edited them. I only edited the ingredients picture and didn't do the rest and then... now I couldn't retrieve them from the recycle bin. My hubby won't retrieve it from the hard disk for me, saying the time spent isn't worth it. :-(
So... phone pics have to make do.... cry cry cry.

Looking on the bright side, at least there are still some shots to show...  :-)


Bò Kho

by Wendyinkk
Adapted from Helen and Vans Kitchen

1 kg beef (I mixed brisket with shank)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 black cardamom, cracked
2 inches cinnamon stick
2 pcs star anise (mine was small, I used 3)
3 stalks of lemon grass, bashed
3 Tbsp tomato puree
300gm carrots, cut into slanting chunks
1L coconut water or more (or just use water plus some sugar)

Marinate
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced shallot
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp fish sauce
Pepper powder as preferred

Baguette or rice to serve

1. Cut beef brisket into 1 inch chunks, and slice shank into 1/2 inch thickness. Put all the marinade ingredients in and give the beef a good rub to incorporate everything. Leave it to marinate for 30 minutes or a few hours.
2. Heat wok and put in 2 Tbsp oil. Saute the garlic until fragrant. Put in the spices and fry them for a while. Put in the marinated beef and cook until all the meat turns opaque.
3. Transfer to a braising pot. Put in coconut juice, lemon grass and tomato puree. Bring it to a boil. Add more salt and pepper if it's needed. Cover and let it simmer for 2 hours, until it starts to taste tender.
4. Put in carrots and bring it back to a boil. Let it simmer for another 30-40 minutes until carrots are tender.
5. Serve with sliced baguette or rice.


I made this baguette with no recipe because I forgot to buy
I just dumped some flour, water, yeast, salt and little bit of oil together.


I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indochina Month


1 comment:

  1. I often forget vietnamese home cook recipes. This reminds me to experiment and look back into them! Especially now that it is cold..this stew looks perfect for our weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...