New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Grilled Pork Rice @ Bai Sach Chrouk - AFF Indochina~ Cambodian #2



Bai Sach Chrouk is a popular breakfast item in Cambodia.

In this dish, grilled meats are served with broken rice. Not only pork is used, but beef, chicken, duck fish, egg or whatever you prefer can be the topping for broken rice. Broken rice is rice that has broken to about less than 3/4 of their original length. A humble rice that was meant to feed chickens has now become a popular thing. There is a tale behind this dish and you can read about it here.



I didn't serve the meat with broken rice, but with regular rice instead, as seen in many online pictures. I also choose to use red tomatoes instead of green tomatoes due to food safety reasons.

I used the oven to grill the meat, and I do find it on the dry side. I think it's best done over an open fire, or pan fried. I think if I prepare some carrot daikon relish to go with it, it will make the eating more enjoyable. I took the pictures way too late in the evening and I am not happy with them at all. In the end resorted to some 'flashed' shots.




Bai Sach Chrouk @ Cambodian Grilled Pork Rice

Reference: Tevy's Kitchen and MyLinh

200 gm pork belly, thinly sliced
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Black pepper as needed
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp coconut milk
few drops of red food colouring

Spring onion oil
1/2 cup spring onions
4 Tbsp oil

1. Marinate the pork belly with all the ingredients overnight.
2. Grill or panfry the belly slices until nicely caramelised.
3. In a pan, heat the oil until very hot, then put in spring onions, gently stir it around to wilt and turn off the heat.
4. Serve the belly on top of rice, together with cucumber slices, omelette slices and spring onion oil.



My husband and I had this for dinner and 2 of my kids ate as well, as one kid doesn't take meat. How many servings depends on how much you will prefer to have yourself.








I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indochina Month

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy! Just found your site today and I love it. Everything looks so delicious and colorful. This grilled pork rice really appeals to me and I enjoy the addition of bright, fresh veggies. I will definitely be back to visit. Thx!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...